Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mitchell Caves

This day was awesome! We went to Mitchell Caverns. Didn't really know what to expect but know that everytime we get in the car with Mom, things typically go well. An adventure always awaits us!

And this day had a little extra special, we have a new friend! That's Ms. Ashley, so she added some spunk to our day. Oh, and she's from Wisconsin, so you know that she can't be too bad, gotta love those midwestern adults!

So, we get to the Mojave State Park (trying to paint the picture for you) after driving an hour and a half throught the desert. Nothin'. Nada. Desert. We saw a super long train, though, so I guess that's somethin. Other than that, nothin'. We get to Mitchell caves a little early, do some investigating, and have a picnic lunch. Glad Momma brought us a nice spread. You can see that Hayes and I sat at the table and ate with Mom and Ms. Ashley....
Or, rather, the two of them ate while we went exploring!

While we waited for our tour we also got to watch a short video on the caves....





It was a bit chilly, but not nearly as bad as it looks. And another great thing about having Ms. Ashley around (other than the fact that she's a kindergarten teacher so didn't think we were completely nuts)-we have photos to prove Mom was with us!!!



Here's one of the smaller caves we hiked past on our way to the big dogs.




And our hike was along this cliff, pretty cool! The ranger told us that one kid fell over and he had to go rescue him-one warning like that and you know Mom is rail side and I'll walk mountain side! You don't have to tell me that twice!





See those holes above us? Kind of look like nostrils? That's where we're heading....







So amazing! Stalactites (I love saying that word now)







I had to ride in the ergo the whole time. Mom was too afraid I would touch something-no touching allowed in the caves. Unfortunately for the rest of the group, I decided just to talk the entire time. Mostly repeating, "go Momma, go go go". Most people didn't mind, but that one lady....








And he scared the animals away with all his chatter! Supposedly there are some mountain cats, insects, bats that live in here. Not with loud mouth scaring everything (including people) away!








Look where I'm walking, see that little tunnel doorway? Yep, the adults had to do a little maneuvering, not me-perfect fit!











The ranger recommended this photo of the stalactites (I love that word). Pretty cool, don't you think?










And our hike back-pretty awesome stuff!












And on our way home, Ms. Ashley spotted this cow. She and Mom thought it was so funny that they were just roaming free. I guess that's funny....















2 comments:

Amber said...

so cute! and it looks like you had a good adventure!

Maxanna said...

The caves look like so much fun. We're going to have to put it on our "must do" list for the next trip. And I do love the pictures.