Friday, March 12, 2010

Day with Supermom!

So today started like many lazy days that we have here. Ya know, relaxing, Mom talking to Biz and Shannon how we're not going to do anything, just have a quiet day chillin' at the house. How she NEEDS a day like this, with no plans, just to get stuff done, take a nap, that kind of stuff. Right, Mom, right. Do we need to remind her that she is a lot like Biz and Big Mama? That often they shove more into a day than most into a vacation?

Well, Reeder and I are lucky that we even got breakfast. Seriously, after hanging up with either Biz or Shannon, she formulated a plan. Off to Palm Springs, gotta hike! Umm, Mom, we haven't had breakfast. Oh, we lucked out, had some chow while she packed the car.

Off we go to Tahquitz Canyon!

And after walking back to the car once for the camera, and buying chapstick at the store because we weren't going to go back again, we were off!

And let me tell you, this hike was MAGNIFICENT! Reeder even let me lead the way a couple times...

And it was a HIKE! I hiked the whole way-2 and a half hours! No holding needed here! Genuine 4 year old hikin'! But, I did need to rest on occasion....

And the nicest folks offered to take our picture! Why, thanks, you get a shot of Supermom!


And I hiked a lot. Or as much as my little, tiny, teensy, weensy, miniature, anorexic left would allow (you'll get a closer shot of those later).


And we got to cross the creek three times! This was definitely a highlight! How cool is this bridge?




And since we brought Supermom (almost forgot to capitalize) with us, we got to play in the water as long as we wanted! No rushing today!






It was so much fun!





And another little break....







Check out how far ahead I went! I was the leader ALL day!








Reflecting...








Another break....











At another creek crossing I was dunkin' my feet!












Can you believe how steep this trail was at points? I was a great hiker, very strong!











And then, very briefly, this trail got really cool, kinda spooky, with these little trees. It was so neat!













Glorious! We made it all the way to the waterfall! It was so amazing! I danced and cooled off! The water was SO cold, Hayesy didn't like it too much, but Mom did finally have to encourage me to get out. It was wonderful!















We all made it, actually!














I'm queen of the mountain! Gorgeous!
















The way down, my favorite part! No, not because it's easier. No, not because I lost my pants. But because, if you look VERY carefully, you'll see windmills in the background! I kept them in my sight the ENTIRE way down! Now can you see why my skinny legs would get tired?


I did get hot enough to want to cool off after walking down a bit. And I must admit that it did feel fantastic!



And then I needed to take a break. And it took Mom's reminder of brownies in the car to get me movin'. I wasn't going ANYWHERE this time. Exhausted!



On the way home Mom decided to take the long way. Instead of going around Joshua Tree, the short way, back to 29, she went 30 miles (at least) out of the way and straight through it. And will all scored on that decision. Hayes and I slept for the first hour or so-nap, check-and woke up just in time for some beautiful pull offs in Joshua Tree.
First, the Cholla garden. You may have to go back to when Grama and Granpa were here, but I LOVE jumping chollas! Granpa taught me all about 'em. Well, who knew that there was a whole area of Joshua Tree where they grow like crazy? Pull over, Supermom, let's check this out!


Granpa Don, are you totally J?





Look by my foot, there were even tiny ones!




And then I skipped around some so as to not get poked by any of those crazy things!

Supermom tried to kick one off the trail. Nice try, it stuck right there! Hayes and I investigated thoroughly!



And I continued to investigate. Finding TINY chollas, only three thorns big. I was very proud of my "sall jhu jhu choo-AH" (small jumping cholla).

And she's not done yet! Nope, Supermom THEN took us to a pull off for these amazing Ocotillo's! And no, they are NOT a cactus! Learn somethin' new everyday around here!


Since it's been so super rainy lately (thanks for the fun fact, Granpa), our ocotillo's were blooming! Check out the awesome orangey-pink flowers at the top!


Pretty beautiful, don't you think?




So, that was our super day with our great Supermom! But, it helps when she has two Superkids!

5 comments:

Don said...

Nothing better than a walk through the chollas and the ocotillas. They are magnificant. What a nice hike!

Brandy said...

What a superhike! Looks like gobs of fun. What little troopers!

Amber said...

that wonderful was amazing and i love the picture of reeder resting by the trail!

Lucas said...

Looks like a GREAT day! Unplanned and just unfolding before you. Yay for superfolks like you!

Bar-b said...

That looked like a spectacular hike. Lucky you and lucky kids! You saw the coolest things. Wow. I really enjoyed those pictures. Hope you're swell.

xoxoxo,
me