Monday, March 8, 2010

Birthday Hike

Everyday we're getting closer to my big day. But, well, today is Saturday and we decided to have a little family fun hike/geocache. It's been a while since our last treasure hunt, don't ya think? Dad's probably starting to itch.

For me, though, the fun is in the journey, not the destination. Not the treasure, not the gps, just the journey. The most fun, "bee-tuh". Oooh, Dad stayed with me and watched this little sucker for quite some time. The girls forged ahead looking for the geocache, I just watched...

And watched...

Let's go already, Hayes, it's just a beetle. Let's find that treasure! It's out here in the desert somewhere!


Those boys are STILL way back there looking at the beetle.
And then I let Mom carry me just a touch so that we could find more beetles, that guy back there went back into his hole.





I stay focused on the prize. I check the gps to make sure that we are staying on track and heading towards the treasure. This time I got a princess! Wowzers, somone left a princess doll-you know what I say, lucky Reeder.





Distracted by another beetle....






Our final cache! Good thing there was a little rock for Hayes to rest on, and reflect on our day before heading back to the car.







And find another beetle....







Gotta hydrate out here in the desert.








Let me ask you this, is there anything more fun than banging a stick on a metal pipe in the middle of the desert? Bang, bang, bang! Didn't think so!










And when my little legs just got too tired for any more walkin', I hitched a ride with my old man, making sure to give him hugs and kisses so he knows how much I love 'im!











And that's our fam, about the only way we get group photos on our excursions!








Oh, I think Mom needs hikin' boots. That whole pile of sand was in the toes of her shoes by the time we got back!



And tomorrow, March 7!











2 comments:

Amber said...

i love reeder roughin' it in her heart dress!

Maxanna said...

These pictures are amazing! Wonderful work Momma Marianne!
And I just loved reading about this adventure. Sure does look like Hayes is a "stop and smell the roses" sort of guy.