Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apple Pickin'

Yesterday was so much fun that I had to get Hayes and get bloggin! We are also trying to be a bit more punctual in our blogging-since we have probably our biggest fan waiting for pics-Daddy-o!

So, we woke up yesterday morning with nothing planned. Ms. Kara told Mom about this cool town a couple hours away-Julian. You know Mom and her spontaneity. Next thing you know, the three of us are headed towards Julian, not really having any idea what to expect.

The place was a mob scene. I guess a lot of us city folk are trying to get away from the rat race, and we all ran to Julian.

We were lucky that when we got there-Oktoberfest was going on! What a wonderful surprise. It was actually all of our favorite thing about Julian-can't way we'll be going back anytime soon.

But, the Oktoberfest was a blast! There was a German band...

German dancers (that's Hayes and me on the left taking it all in-we were mesmorized!)

But here is where the day got REALLY good. Remember how I said that Julian is known for their awesome apples. But, you have to drive about four miles away to a different quaint town-Wynola-which was AWESOME-to do the picking. Go figure? Anyway, this was one of my favorite days! And, as you can probably tell, it's not often that we go on big days like this with just mom. Normally we have friends, or dad, or something. Nope, qt with just dear old mom.


This is Calico Ranch Orchard. See-isn't it beautiful?



Oooh, I know I can reach it, stretch...



Please don't tease me, Mom dressed us up in matching attire. I wish Dad was here sometimes to help a brotha out.




I preferred picking the apples that were on the ground. Could you imagine if Poncho and Lefty would've come with us? They would've LOVED it!


And, of course, Mom likes to get on the other side of the lens every so often.








OK, check this out. See the apple below? Well, I worked for that apple. A lot of the trees were picked through, so we had to look up REALLY high to find our treasure. i called it a scavenger hunt. So, Mom and I spot this incredible apple but it is just SO high. Problem solving comes into play here. Alright Mom, remember how I stood on your shoulders in the pool this summer, then jumped off? Let's do it! It worked, I was soooo tall. And could reach the apple!







Then, when we were finished in the orchard, we could top off our bag with ones they had already picked.








And I got in on the action, too.









They were just so delicious. I couldn't resist eating one right there. Reed and I both had finished off three before getting home. Hog Down!










What a day!













4 comments:

Amber said...

cute pictures! and what a fun adventures! i'm glad to see that hayes got some suitable shoes!

Maxanna said...

I've been to Julian! And it is so charming- though not very crowded when we were there.
But the apple picking looks so much fun. Wish, oh Wish- you guys could join us here when we go :(
And I love the pics!
Good job to your MOM:)

Brandy said...

Too cute! The apples look super yummy.

Shan said...

slp says...
open up msk photography
we can ALL be rich!! LOL