Sunday, August 16, 2009

Yosemite

So this is how it happened. Dad comes home a few weeks ago, sits down to hot meal ready when he walks in the door (our mom is perfect). She gets him a fancy water, sits down and we begin our perfect dinner. Dad says, "I think I have a good idea on what we can do with the kids". Mom looks at him, probably passes him something he needs, being the good wife, gets me a milk, being the perfect mother, and says "yes, dear". Dad-"I think we should go to Oregon".

Well, three weeks later, Mom has planned the trip, Dad has taken off work, we've filled the tank, packed the car and car top carrier to the rim, and head off on what would become Kappel Konfusion 2009-2200 miles, lots of parks, tons of hiking, and more bonding time than any 3 year old can dream of. Oh, by the way, I'm three AND a half.

Our first stop was Yosemite National Park. It was about 8 hours from here, we got there late afternoon, just in time for a short hike before we found our cabin.


That's bridalveil falls. See it coming off the top of the mountain? Pretty gorgeous. Good way to start our trip.


Mom and I at the base. Notice the gg's. Since it was such a big car day, we all got to wear our gg's ALL DAY! Could this trip get ANY better?








Big stretch!




I have such a spacious car seat that I like to feel cramped and jammed up when finally out of the car for the day.







Oh, dirt! Sticks!






Take a good look. This is the ONLY family photo from our whole trip. I hope you enjoyed it!








That's my hiking stick.









I didn't quite make it, but you can see a pretty cool waterfall behind me.






















I liked it so much I tried to jump right on in!


























I'm nudie. Yep. Had an accident. Dad washed my clothes in the river, put 'em right back on. That's campin' for ya, hard core campin'.














After I was dressed again Dad and I hung out at the river FOR EVER, throwing rocks, bonding, you know, the usual.















And then, off to hike half dome.
















I'm not sure how well you can notice, but look closely. No, who cares about the mountains in the background. Closer, closer still, do you see it? Dad is growing a mustache! Disgusting!

















So cheesy. I'm embarrassed. Are you embarrassed for me?


















In mirror lake, obviously the dry season.


















If you ever go to Yosemite and you hear about the tunnel view, skip it, seriously. This is how you get there. You park your car near a tunnel, hike IN the tunnel (it kind of feels like you have your lips duct taped to an exhaust pipe)...





















Then turn down the cave, which is kind of spooky at first because it is PITCH BLACK.






















Then the fencing holding you in is about eight feet from the edge....





















but, when you stick your arm out as far as you can and take a picture of something you really can't see, it's beautiful!
























Then you hike back through the cave, notice the graffiti.



















back throught the tunnel-where people honk their horns the entire way for some reason, and get back in your car. Seriously, skip the tunnel view.
But, when you get back to your cabin, you can make delicious s'mores with your whole family, and that's pretty cool.













2 comments:

Maxanna said...

Oh what fun! And I love, absolutely love the pictures. What fun you have. Can't wait for more- a little at a time.
Love you!

Brandy said...

Great pics. How did Clint get that caterpillar to sit so still?